Brazil and Argentina to replay abandoned match, rules FIFA
FIFA suspends 4 Argentina players for 2 matches for violating coronavirus rules.
Table of Contents (Show / Hide)
An abandoned football match between Brazil and Argentina for the 2022 FIFA World Cup South American (CONMEBOL) qualifiers will be played again, the world football's governing body said on Monday.
In a statement, the FIFA Disciplinary Committee said that the preliminary competition between the South American teams for the Qatar 2022, which was originally scheduled on Sept. 5, 2021, will be repeated on a date and location that will be announced by FIFA.
FIFA also suspended four Argentine players; Emiliano Buendia, Emiliano Martinez, Giovani Lo Celso, and Cristian Romero for two matches for "not complying with the FIFA Return to Football International Match Protocol”.
Officials from the Brazilian Health Regulatory Agency Anvisa stormed Arena Corinthians in Sao Paulo during the game in minute six to detain four players from Argentina -- Buendia, Martinez, Lo Celso, and Romero -- who allegedly entered Brazil from the UK without complying with quarantine requirements.
Buendia and Martinez (Aston Villa), and Romero (Tottenham Hotspur) are still playing in the English Premier League.
Lo Celso was a Tottenham Hotspur midfielder in September 2021 but joined Spain's Villarreal on a half-season loan deal in January.
Argentina and Brazil booked their spots each in the 2022 World Cup.
Qatar 2022 has been scheduled from Nov. 21-Dec. 18.
FIFA also fined both parties for failing to fulfill their responsibilities for this match.
The Brazilian Football Association was ordered to pay a fine of 500,000 Swiss francs ($540,391) for "infringements related to order and security" during the game.
Meanwhile, the Argentine Football Association will pay 200,000 Swiss francs ($216,140) for their failure to "comply with its obligations concerning order and security, the preparation of and its participation in the game".
FIFA imposed a separate fine on the Brazilian and Argentine football bodies each that amounted to 50,000 Swiss francs ($54,000) due to abandonment of the contest.
Meanwhile, Argentina will appeal against FIFA's ruling.
Argentine Football Association (AFA) President Claudio Fabian Tapia said that he vowed to "make all the necessary efforts" to appeal against the FIFA decision about the CONMEBOL qualifying match with Brazil.
As part of measures to stem the spread of the coronavirus, Brazil previously mandated a 14-day quarantine for passengers who have been in the UK, South Africa, and India in the 14 days before arriving in the South American country.
"Brazil has temporarily suspended all direct flights from or via the UK and has temporarily suspended permission for foreigners who have been in the UK during the previous 14 days to board flights to Brazil," the UK government's website had said.
This is an independent news agency. We are a group of free and independent journalists from around the world who together try to revive human rights. Our mission is to investigate and provide the news and events happening around to reveal truth to you in seven living languages of the world.